FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Greenhouse – Introductions
What is a Greenhouse?
It is a building, room, or area, usually made out of glass or plastic in which the temperature and other conditions are maintained within a desired range, used for cultivating plants or growing plants out of season.
How does a greenhouse work?
The greenhouse works by collecting light and converting it to heat. In addition to capturing light the greenhouse also stores thermal energy and releases that energy properly. It can moderate temperature and produce a controlled environment for plants to grow and thrive in. Further, a greenhouse offers protection from wind, rain, snow, lightning and other weather elements while keeping your crops from being invaded by pest and animals.
Moreover, the greenhouse is a closed-‐in environment, which means there are no breezes to push the heat away as well as the pollinated seeds. The structure is often made of glass or special UV treated plastic material that permeates particular rays of the sun. Without a breeze, the air within the greenhouse heats up quickly and remains warm. This creates the ideal area for plants to grow.
What is a greenhouse used for?
- A simple greenhouse is used to grow crops out of season,
- It is used as a nursery to start seedlings for the next season.
- It can be used to produce, multiply and purify a wide variety of seeds.
- It can be used to introduce new plant species
What is the origin of Greenhouses?
It started in Italy around the 13thcentury and then spread to the Netherlands and England and now in Cameroon thanks to GreenHouse Ventures Ltd.
What is a greenhouse made up of?
Our low cost greenhouses are made of special ultra violet (UV) treated plastics constructed using local wood and/or metal.
Greenhouse – Crops
What are the things that are cultivated in the Greenhouse?
They include; vegetables, flowers, fruits, some tubers, and associated plants etc. In general any crop can be grown in a greenhouse adapted for that particular purpose.
Can a Greenhouse be used as a Nursery?
Yes, greenhouses can be used to nurse plants, flowers and trees.
How long do crops take to be ready for harvest in the Greenhouse?
It depends on the crops which are being grown, but the crops in the greenhouse take half the time crops take outside to be ready for harvest.
Does the cultivation in Greenhouses follow the farming season?
No, Cultivation in greenhouse is year-‐round
What are the Advantages of growing in a Greenhouse?
- The ability to control temperature and other factors therein
- The ability to control pests and animals and other external factors
- Reduction of carbon footprints
- High quality of crop produced
- Prolonged production period
- Efficient utilization of watering
- Low cost of labor that is spraying and weeding
- High quality of crop produced
- Timely crop production, marching to high market demands
- Savings on chemical inputs
- Less exposure to chemical toxins
- The ability to grow out of season
- Conservation of soil and soil’s nutrients
- Minimizes effect of global warming by reducing the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere
- Cost effect agriculture production
Why do plants tend to grow faster and larger in Greenhouses ?
- Plants take in carbondioxide and give out oxygen. A greenhouse helps in containing atmospheric carbondioxide among other greenhouses gases needed for plant growth and make them available to plants.
- UV treated plastic enables he penetration of particular rays of the sun that foster plant growth.
- The ability to control and monitor the climate in the greenhouse gives an added advantage of giving the plants just what is needed.
- The soil in greenhouse is not washed off by rain or wind therefore allowing the plants to maximize the soils’ potential and grow better
- Strong winds have a tendency of distorting pollination but in a greenhouse, pollination occurs effectively and efficiently.
- The greenhouse soil does not have the potential of harboring harmful disease and pest. As such plants concentrate on healthy growth rather than repair and defense.
- The controlled humidity, keeps the air moist for peak plant growth, thereby reducing water stress by watering the roots and providing a humid simple Ideas with Remarkable Change environment which allows each plant to concentrate its energy on fruiting and flowering.
How do the crops get the penetration of sun light in Greenhouses?
Greenhouse plastics or glass are transparent and thus allow for entry of sunlight.
Are ridges made in Greenhouses?
Sometimes based on what is being cultivated in the greenhouse
How is water supplied in the Greenhouse?
Water can be supplied in the Greenhouse through the use drip irrigation system and manual supply of water through the use of watering cans, nearby stream, taps etc.
How are pest and insects managed in a Greenhouse?
- Proper management of entry and exit doors to minimize the entry of pests.
- Sterilization of working materials to prevent, minimize cross contamination
- Constant monitoring of crops so as eliminate any potentials of spread of attacks.
- Utilization of insecticides and pesticides if and when necessary
- Wearing special cloths to work in the greenhouse and as needed from time to time.
Are chemicals used to enhance the growth of crops in the Greenhouse?
It is relative. If you want to grow organically then you will minimize use of chemicals and/or use organic chemicals when needed. Greenhouses do better with use of natural manure and proper management.
What role does the climate play with regards to the crops in the Greenhouse?
The climatic condition in the greenhouse is more controlled and thus it enhances the growth of the plants in the greenhouses.
How is the climatic condition controlled in the Greenhouse?
This can be controlled by opening the side flaps during hot days and rolling them down during cold days.
In the West, heaters could be used to heat up the greenhouse during the extremely cold season and the use of the cooling system or fans to cool the greenhouse during hot seasons.
How are the weeds controlled in the Greenhouse?
- Light hand weeding
- Plastic mulching and /or bed blankets can also be used to prevent weeds.
How is the timely, regular crop management observed in the Greenhouse?
This involves nursing, transplanting, pruning, watering
What are some necessary tips for succeeding with a greenhouse?
- Test the soil for nutrient level and ensure it’s free from pathogens.
- To avoid drippers from impasse, use clean filtered water.
- Apply the correct fertilizers and chemicals at the right time.
- Always use the correct certified seeds recommended for greenhouse .
- Disinfect your hands, clothing and all working tools
- Scouting regularly is advised.
- Observe timely and regular routine crop management.
Greenhouse – Construction
How long does it take to construct a Greenhouse?
2 – 3 working days on the average for a metal greenhouse and 5 – 7 days for a wooden greenhouse.
Is there a special kind of wood or metal that is used for the construction of the greenhouse?
Any hard wood is good. Our wood is treated for termites and water penetration to enable it last longer.
How does the greenhouse contribute to enhance the nature of the crops?
Our greenhouse plastic contains some properties that repels fungi and enhances fruit color and taste.
What is the dimension of the available Greenhouses?
There are two dimensions available;
8m x 15m
They can also be constructed in different dimensions based on need and customer preference.
Greenhouse – Environment
What are the effects of Greenhouses in the environment?
- Greenhouses contain greenhouse gases thereby minimizing their harmful effects to the atmosphere such as global warming
- Greenhouses are useful in reducing carbon footprints
- Greenhouses are instrumental for soil conservation
- Our greenhouse plastics are recyclable so have no harmful effect to the environment
What is the cost of a Greenhouse?
The cost starts from 500.000 FCFA and above depending on the dimension, durability and type of plastic used. GHV Ltd is introducing several models to subsidize and reduce cost for target customers.
How can Greenhouses enrich the farmers?
With our greenhouses and business model, we can guarantee users with increased productivity and profitability.
What value can Greenhouses add to the health and socio economic standards of the country?
- Production and availability of high valued foods year round
- Job creation and entrepreneurship
Is the soil not depleted during cultivation in the Greenhouse?
Applying crop rotation in the greenhouse helps to conserve the soil and retain its natural content, so the soil is not depleted in the process.
How does the Greenhouse contribute in the reduction of carbon footprint?
Greenhouses greatly reduce the carbon footprint due to its proximity to home for many tentative users.
How is the pollination managed in the greenhouse?
Our manually controlled vents permit the smooth and effective pollination of crops in the greenhouses.
If I pay for a greenhouse will GHV manage my greenhouse?
It depends if you pay for management fee
Can GHV provide a ready market for my products when it’s ready to sell?
Yes if we managed your greenhouse that way we can be sure of the quality of the output to place on our markets.
Can I get a bigger dimension of a greenhouse given that I own a vast land?
You can own multiple greenhouses but not advisable to go for larger sizes as it can be complicated to manage.
How many plants can a greenhouse take?
It depends on what is being grown and the ecological properties in the area.
Where is the greenhouse farm located?
We have several farms in Yaounde, Douala and Limbe. Visitation is strictly upon approval from top management. Contact us to schedule a visit.
Where is your office located?
We work remotely since we spend more time on the farms. We schedule most of our appointments on the farms closer to where the client is located.